Monday, December 16, 2019

Huffy Pro Lightning



Yep, I had this one. I believe I got in at Christmas 1983. It is the least expensive of the Huffy Pro Lightning line.

Interesting choice for them to go with the aero shaped tubing for the seat tube and seat post. I can't remember if the seat in the pic was the original seat.

The rims had a U shaped cross section, similar to the rims that came on the black and gold version which was one level up from this one. Check out that high flange hub on the front wheel.

The downward slanted gooseneck makes me lol!

Over the course of owning it I upgraded some of the parts. I'm pretty sure that I broke the cranks but not in the way you may think. I broke the small stud that sticks into the sprocket on the drive side. Huffy, in what I am sure was a cost cutting measure, did not use cranks where this part was cast at the same time as the crank, they welded one on. I use the term welded very loosely. It broke off and I was still able to pedal enough to get home, but if I tried to get into it hard the sprocket would just slip lol.

Believe it or not I had a lot of fun on this bike. On a personal level this bike meant a lot to me because my mom got it for me even though she had dealt with some issues that left her hospitalized for the fourth quarter of the year. Even in her state of ill health at that time she managed to set aside enough money for me to have this for Xmas. Thanks Mom, I'll never for get your kindness and thoughtfulness.

No comments:

Post a Comment