Saturday, January 4, 2020

2020 Goals

Okay it was a terrible year for biking for me in 2019. However, the upside of having a bad year, but still logging the stats, is that you end up with a clear goal to beat the following year.

For 2019 I only rode 88.8 miles with 4131ft of climbing.
Ugh. I know.

I actually rode just a lttle further because there were a few times I rode without my strava running.

So, there we have it. A yearly goal that at one time I would have come close to beating in just two weeks.

Why didn't I ride in 2019? That is a complicated question to answer as it was no one reason, it was a group of reasons. Here is a list of what I believe were the issues:

1. Congestive Heart Failure - I just don't have the oomph that I used to.
2. Boredom - I just got kind of sick of riding the same spots I always do
3. Loneliness - I got tired of hanging out on the bike by myself all the time and chose social activities that involved other people.
4. Money - It was a tight year for me financially. Tight enough that I budgeted for gasoline, which means that I would opt out of driving 15+ miles each way just to do a 7 to 10 mile ride.
5. Fear - see #1. With my condition, I am sort of scared to get too far away from the car when riding these days. I do not want to pass out back in the woods  or out on the road alone.
6. Anger - I am mad at all of the above.

But that was last year. This is a new year and I'd love to beat last year's stats, and I'd ove to eliminate or lessen the impact of the list above. This means that I'll need to make some adjustments to my expectations and also the way that I ride. Most of all it means I'll need to ride.

I also have a build that I have not yet talked about which I am looking forward to working on. Some time ago I acquired two -almost complete- but disassembled Schwinn Stingrays, and they have been in storage inside a giant container under my house. I'd love to get those back to rideable condition. Since I have two frames to strat with I'd like to make one stick and make one into an early BMX build.

Of course I'll be logging the year here and I hope you are along for the ride with me.

Happy 2020!

No comments:

Post a Comment