Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Fixed Gear Brake Pad Upgrade - Wait...Fixies Don't Have Brakes, Right?

Well, track bikes don't have brakes, but I wouldn't consider my fixed gear a true track bike.  For the record, it is an Aventon Cordoba with a few small mods.  I run a front brake, because I can.

Me and a buddy recently did a fun half century on the Silver Comet Trail, and about 10 miles out there is a bike shop called Boneshaker Bikes that we stopped at hoping they would still have some of the clear/dayGlo combo brake pads that they had when we passed through last year. They still had them! I grabbed a set for my Aventon since the stock pads had for some reason started squeaking pretty bad as of late. I'm not going to lie...I also just wanted the clear/glo color to add a little snazz to the old blackbird.


The install was a little iffy. These things are not meant for fixed gear biking at all, they are for BMX bikes, so I was a little hesitant that the curve profile would be too sharp for 700c rims, but that ended up not being an issue. I did have to do some creative rearranging with the washer stack on each pad to get them to fit though, and even then the threads stuck out pretty far from the slots. No biggie though. The only downside is that I absolutely positively without a doubt have them toed in correctly, but I'm still getting some squeaking. Tightened up the brake mounting bolt in the fork, which helped but didn't totally solve the issue. 

Believe it or not, I think that the sound may have something to do with some residual chemicals from cleaning the bike at the local High Pressure Wash It Yourself Car Wash. We'll give it a little time and see how it goes. I'm trying to use the brake in emergencies only anyway. Color ended up looking pretty rad, a subtle touch that some heads will appreciate.





Looks pretty rad from the flight deck.

No comments:

Post a Comment